|ACTIVE LISTENING IS:
Paying close attention to what the person is saying and feeling, and:
Responding back, in your own words, your understanding of the sender's message.
(Both the words and the feelings.)
Active listening communicates these kinds of messages:
- "I understand what you are saying."
- "I hear what you are saying."
- "I am interested and concerned."
- "I accept you as a person."
- "I respect your thoughts."
- "I am not trying to change or evaluate you."
- Shows you are concerned and interested in the speaker.
- Leads to better information about the speaker or the situation.
- Encourages further communication.
- Usually improves relationship.
- Leads to better cooperation and problem solving from people who feel they are misunderstood.
- Calms people down and cools "hot" situations.
- Encourages others to listen to you.